PAN Full Form
What is the full form of PAN?
PAN full form is Permanent Account Number. It is a unique ten-digit alphanumeric number issued by the Income Tax Department of India under section 139A of the Indian Income Tax Act 1961.
A PAN card is a tangible identification card, which is used for identifying taxpayers across the country. A PAN card includes the name of the customer, DOB, photographs, etc, it is considered proof of identity.
Format of PAN Card
Following are the details containing a PAN card :
- Name of the applicant.
- Father’s name of the applicant
- Date of Birth of the applicant, if the applicant is not an individual it’s an authority, then enter the registration date of the authority.
- And PAN Number. Pan number’s first five characters are letters and the next four characters are numerals and the last is a letter.
The 10-digit alphanumeric number on a PAN card represents:
Example of a pan number: AAAPNXXXXC
The fourth character of the PAN number represents the holder status, possible characters and meanings mention below:
P – represents Individual
C- represents Company
H – represents Hindu Undivided Family (HUF)
A – represents the Association of Persons (AOP)
B – stands for Body of Individuals (BOI)
G – represents Government Agency
J – stands for Artificial Judicial person
L – is the local authority
F – reflects Firm or Limited Liability Partnership
T – for Trust
- The fifth character represents the first letter of the Individual’s surname or last name. If the cardholder is not an individual then the 5th character describes the first letter of the PAN cardholder’s name.
- The sixth to ninth characters are numbers from 0001 to 9999.
- The tenth character is the alphabetic check digit.
How To Apply For PAN Online
Following are the steps to apply for a PAN card online
- Move to the National Securities Depository Limited (NSDL) site or the UTIITSL website
- Now, you fill out the required form and submit it with the fee amount.
- After the submission, the PAN number will be sent to the applicant’s address.
What Are The Documents Required For A PAN Card?
A PAN card requires the following documents for two main reasons: Identity proof and address proof. Following are the primary documents required based on the type of PAN they are applying for PAN numbers:
- If an Individual needs PAN Card: Aadhaar Card, Voter ID, Driving License, Passport
- For Hindu Undivided Family: An affidavit with address proof and DOB identification of the members of the HUF.
- For Corporations: Registration certificates of the companies
- For Partnership Firms: The certificate of registration of partnership firms is issued by the register of partnership firms deed.
- For the Trust: Required the certificate number of registration issued by the commissioner of charity and trust
- For Society: required the registration certificate issued by the commissioner of charity and cooperative society.
- For Foreigners: A passport, a bank statement of the country where they reside, and a bank statement of their NRE account in India.
What is mean by PAN?
A Permanent Account Number (PAN) is a ten-digit alphanumeric number issued by the Income Tax Department. It is used for identifying taxpayers across the country.
What is the first name as per PAN?
When filling out your application, you must fill in your surname before your first name. However, on the PAN card, your name will appear in the order of ‘First Name Surname.
P letter stands for what in a PAN card?
“P” represents the Individual. “C” stands for Company. “H” reflects Hindu Undivided Family (HUF) “A” for Association of Persons (AOP) “B” for Body of Individuals (BOI)