The American Academy of Pediatrics recommends exclusive breastfeeding for the first six months after birth. But by ages 4 months to 6 months, most babies are ready to begin eating solid foods as a complement to breastfeeding or formula-feeding.
Most parents are not sure about when to start giving solids to their little ones. As your baby reaches the 5-month age mark, you may remain concerned about feeding solids to her. Most of the experienced parents will advise you to wait for another month to start a solid diet for your child, while some will suggest you start solids beginning from the 5th month.
5-months-old baby’s food chart
- Breast milk or formula milk
- Mashed banana, mashed avocado, pear sauce, and apple puree
- Well cooked, pureed, and strained carrot, peas, sweet potato, or pumpkin
- Pulse soup or daal ka paani, after boiling pulse inadequate water (preferably moong daal water)
- Rice water after boiling rice insufficient water
- Sago water
- Single grain cerelac, preferably start with rice or oatmeal as they are the least allergenic food items for babies.
Homemade recipes for a 5-months-old baby
- Single grain cerelac: Dry roast clean rice and blend it into a blender to make a fine powder. Bring formula milk or breastmilk to boil and add a spoon of rice powder to it. Stir constantly. Simmer for 5 minutes and cook properly. Make sure it should have a liquid or paste consistency. Serve a little warm. You can replace the rice with oatmeal. Do not add any sugar to the cerelac.
- Banana or Avocado Mash: Peel the ripe banana or avocado, take out the flesh – do not cook. Mash the desired fruit with a fork or blend it in the grinder. Serve the puree or you can add milk to it before serving. Bananas are the best ingredient of 5-month baby foods. You can avoid the single grain cerelac for one more month and start with potassium-enriched bananas.
- Apple or Pear sauce: Peel, deseed and cut the apple or pear. Boil it until tender. Add water for boiling them. Once boiled, mash the apples or pear to achieve a smooth consistency. Sieve, if required. Serve the 5-month baby food to your little one.
- Peas: Boil and mash the peas. Make sure you mash them properly leaving behind only puree and no chunks. These homemade 5-month baby foods are good to start with.