What Is EWS? Full-Form And Meaning
Full Form of EWS: Economically Weaker Section. It is one of the sub-categories of people classified by the Government of India. EWS division is classified based on
- Annual income
- Residential flat, etc.
People who fall into this group both belong to the general category and have an annual income that is lower than 8 lakhs. EWS status is equivalent to that of SC, ST, or OBC.
ie; In order to qualify for the benefit of reservation in the General category for the EWS group, the annual income limit for the family, including income from all sources, has been set at Rs. 8,000,000.
Rs. 8 lakh is the annual family income limit for those members of the Other Backward Classes who do not meet the other standards established for determining whether or not an individual belongs to the Creamy Layer.
EWS is different from EBC (Economically Backward Class). The EBC and MEBC (Most Economically Backward Class) categories vary in different states and institutions. For candidates from the Economically Weaker Sections (EWS), the Central Government recently introduced a 10% reservation quota.
What is the Eligibility For EWS
EWS categories are based on the following criteria:
- Personal annual income should be less than Rs. 8 lakhs, excluding reserved categories like SC, ST, and OBC.
- The family should not own more than 5 acres of agricultural land.
- Their residential plot area should be less than 100/200 square yards.
- The flat residential area is just less than 1000 sqft.
What are the documents required for an EWS certificate?
To apply for an EWS certificate, people need the following documents:
- ID proof
- Adhaar card
- Photograph (passport size)
- Property or land documents
- Residential proof
- Self-declaration form
Who comes in the EWS category?
The people in the EWS category divides into these criteria:
- The applicant’s annual income should be less than 8 lakhs.
- The family does not have a farm of more than 5 acres
- The size of the residential flat is less than 1000 square feet.
How to Apply for an Online EWS Certificate
- First, visit the district administration Portal or State Administration Portal.
- Choose the Certificates option
- Click EWS Certificate from the certificate option
- Now, register with your Mobile Number and proceed further.
- You can upload documents such as the self-attestation of your family income or land details
- After submitting your form, you must wait for approval from the administration.
- You can download your EWS Certificate PDF after approval and print it out.